Thursday, March 28, 2019

Workbench drawers - Almost there...

After having done the drawers sliders groves it is time to take care of the middle batten. Again I used the Stanley #45 to cut a grove on each side of the batten.

Using the Stanley #45 to cut a grove on each side
of the middle batten.
I start to really like my Stanley #45. For sure, to set it and use it correctly I need some time, but more I use it, more I like it. One day we will be like two old friends.
One thing I learned today about it is that I really need to check the setup before any cut to be sure that no settings changed, like the lateral fence or the depth stop. Also, no need to put too much pressure on it, if the iron is well sharpened it will cut nicely without much pressure.

The middle batten groves.
After the middle batten it was time to do the same with the drawer front and back boards.

Taking care of the drawer back.

Doing this I learned another thing. Using some wax on the #45 skate ease a lot the grove cut, really a lot. I kept a waxed rag nearby and every 5 to 6 strokes I waxed the skate and the cut was so much smoother.

The grove cut in the drawer back board.
I did again the same in the drawer front.

Same recipe applied to the drawer front.
Not bad at all.
I then cut the sliders and middle batten to size. To ensure the groves are all aligned, there will be a little tenon at each end of the sliders and batten to fit them in the groves cut in the drawer front and back so I cut the batten and sliders 1/2" longer then cut the little tenons.

The little tenon on a slider to ensure the groves are aligned.
Finally I changed my hat to wear my power tool helmet and I used the table saw to resaw the bottom boards. I need to practice a lot more resawing by hand before being able to do a correct job so for now the table saw will make it. What is funny is that I did not used my table saw for months now, and when I fired it up I was pretty scared, not only by seeing that blade turning at the speed of light but also by hearing that screaming noise. When you start using hand tools you get used to them and their silence pretty fast!

The bottom boards freshly sawed.
Tomorrow will be planing day, this will be a real pleasure and so much fun to plane these boards to size and make nice curly shavings!












2 comments:

  1. My power tools have been in storage for the past 5-6 years due to no space for them in my small shop. Eventually I hope to have a bigger shop and use the power tools again, but I'm no looking forward to the noise, safety equipment, dust and everything else associated with power tools. Getting into hand tools was a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, same here, so much more pleasure using my hands. I just need to improve on my resawing skills!
      By the way I read your posts about your Roubo frame saw, really impressive saw. Did you see the original print of this saw in the Roubo books?

      Delete