Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Some great visitors and tools.

Last weekend we received some great visitors. My parents came from Europe to visit us for a month. Fortunate as I am, my father did not miss the opportunity to bring me some more interesting vintage tools, the list is quite long!

  • A nice vintage hand brace. I will need to clean it as it appears to be a bit rusty but it is still functioning properly.
A vintage hand brace.

  • A bunch of old gimlets. These will need to be sharpened and I guess it will be something tricky to do.
A bunch of gimlets.

  • A complete Record 050 combination plane in very good condition, a bit dusty though.
A Record 050 combination plane.

  • An old hand drill that was owned and used by my father for a very long time. It is in pristine condition. This one has 2 speed set by setting the handle on one side or the other.
My father hand drill.

  • A bunch of Stanley chisel, not antique ones but they still are something like 30 years old.
Some not so old Stanley chisels.

  • A gigantic bung hole auger, the handle is almost 2 feet wide.
A gigantic hole auger.

  • A hand wheel grinder. The picture is showing only the body but it is complete and in perfect working condition. This one is made by Peugeot Freres and is quite old (not sure about the date though)
Peugeot Freres hand grinder body.

  • A small plane, made in St Etienne in France. I am not able to read the maker yet but will try to find out while restoring it.
Small plane, maker not yet identified.

  • Another plane, from Germany this time, made by Goldenberg.
Goldenberg german plane.

  • Another plane, made by Peugeot Freres and in very nice condition. Note the use of the long screw in the iron. The wood used to make it is Cormier.
A nice Peugeot Freres bench plane made in Cormier.

Peugeot Freres stamp.

  • A small size block plane made by Narex that was once owned by my grand father.
Small Narex #102 block plane.

  • A small axe. It will need a bit of cleaning and sharpening but the handle is very comfortable and the way it is locked to the iron is not common for me.
An old axe. The handle is locked to the iron using a metal plate
going through the iron.

  • An old wood level that was owned by my grand father.
My grand father level.

  • Finally a mallet that my father made for me!
A custom made mallet. The handle is locked to the head with a dovel.

There will be a lot of fun (and work) to come to restored all these and put them back to use!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, nice haul.
    To sharpen your gimlets, gave them a good soak in Evaporust. Unless they have a damaged edges, unlikely, that should be sufficient. Same trick clean up the pesky threads at the end of auger bits.
    I am surprise that German plane made it thru customs, because of all the worm holes in it. You may want to freeze it for a while as an added insurance. That is what museum do before I am allowed to bring wood inside for demo.

    Bob, licking his war wounds and gathering muster to try some riving :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob thank you very much for the hint about freezing the german plane, clever idea! Try not to rive your fingers off 😁

      Delete
  2. Take the blade off, put the wooden parts in a bag and freeze for at least a month. Thats what the museum in Gatineau did with my stuff before i was allowed to bring it in for demos

    Bob, still with 10 fingers, all thumbs :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 month! I don't know if I will be able to resist to play with it for 1 long month!

      Delete
  3. How did your dad get all those tools over here with a 20 kilo luggage weight limitation? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a master packager... and paid for some extra luggage and weight :)

      Delete
  4. As far as I know, Goldberg was in Alsace.
    So depending of the year of manufacture it is either German or French (without any manufacture moving).
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, thank you for this information Sylvain.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is tremendous! Before I read Ed's question, I was wondering if your father had a large tool chest as his luggage. You should have a lot of fun with these tools. Let us know how the restoration goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a lot of fun to restore them that's for sure Matt, It will make a great post!

      Delete
  6. All these tools are European, or British origins. But I just notice the Stanley chisel also have Goldenberg on it. That would explain the handle style which screams French/German to me.
    Dis not knew of that Stanley/Goldenberg connections before, will have to look it up

    Bob, siroting (french word siroter anglicized by me) coffee on a lazy morning

    ReplyDelete