Thursday, July 11, 2019

Old saw restoration.

As my father liked my saws I decided to offer him a saw restored by my own. I got one "Warranted Superior" saw for 99 cents at auction, I will generously give it away after having cleaned it.

Not sure of its brand/maker but the saw is in good condition. The blade is a bit dirty but straight and the handle is not damaged.

The "Warranted Superior" saw.

I removed all the nuts from the handle and it came apart easily.

Handle removed.

The blade shows some rust under the handle, it needs a good dose of green slime to get it nice and clean, free of rust.

The blade receiving its beauty mask.

After 20 minutes of bathing on each side and a good rinse with water, the blade is free of rust but is showing a tarnish look so time to polish it with some elbow grease.

Hand polishing the blade.

Now that the blade is done, lets take a look at the handle. It does not appear damaged but needs some refinishing.

The saw handle in its original condition.

I sanded it to bare wood but not too much so to keep some patina to it, I do not want it to look like a brand new one.

The sanded saw handle, keeping some sign of its age.

The handle then received a coat of red chestnut stain.

The stained handle after a coat of A coat of red chestnut
I like the patina I was able to keep.

After penetrating for 15 minute I wiped the excess stain from the handle.
I added 5 coat of amber shellac to the handle and I called it done and ready to be put back on the blade using the now clean and shiny nuts.


Few coat of amber shellac later...
Note the mark on the handle, I wonder who signed it with an X.

Unfortunately in the excitation of the restoration, I forgot to take a picture of the finished assembled saw and now that my father is back home I am not able to do so, silly me!




5 comments:

  1. Found any etch on the blade?
    If you had a pic of the medallion we could possibly identify it. Either British or American.. Given the sway back (American invention) ill say Disston.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, there was no etch on the blade, or at least none visible anymore. The medallion was the classical american "Warranted Superior" with the eagle with arrows and branch in its talons.

      Delete
  2. Then im guessing Disston made. See if you recognized your medallion here http://thevalleywoodworker.blogspot.com/2016/06/de-rusting-and-warranted-superior-saws.html

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, thank you for this information, I checked your post and the medallion looked similar to the one from your Jackson saw but not recessed (the shape of a standard disston medallion). Also the eagle was a bit more precisely carved/detailed.
      I will try to see if my dad can get me a picture of it.

      Delete
  3. The recessed medallions are simply the older versions.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete