Thursday, August 15, 2019

Coffee table - Done

After having glued the table base, remains for me to glue all table top parts together and do the final top to base assembly.

There is nothing much to say about gluing table top parts, just that I needed to be fast to be able to assemble all parts together in one shot. So fast in fact that I did not took any picture. Anyway not much to see.

After cleaning the dried glue, I opted to simply glue the top on the base.
After short session of intimacy with some sand paper to finalize the top, the result was this:

The final result.

I like the contrast between the darker legs and lighter top.
At the end the mitered joins on the top were not too bad.

Mitered joins ended not too bad.

However some mistakes are still visible on the side.

Some gap in the join...

I created that gap while chopping out the waste. The back of the chisel pushed on the angle and crushed the soft wood... some lesson learned.
Another lesson learned is that I love cedar, I love its smell, I love how it looks... However it is a bitch to work with because of its softness and fibers, better to be sure to use very sharp tools.

I will later put few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as the final finish, but for now time for a glass of wine to test the table!


No comments:

Post a Comment