Tuesday, December 22, 2020

A Story of Box and Dovetails

Last weekend was my wife birthday and instead of wasting some paper I thought about making another box to wrap her gift.

I used some Pine leftover from another project and adapted the box size to the available length. Of course the box had to be dovetailed so I thought of sharing my adventures with dovetails.

Tails or Pins, who's first?

I read enough opinions and discussions about this subject to know that there is no answer to this question but only a personal preference. Speaking about personal preference, mine is to start with tails. The reason for that, if there can be any reason, is that I find easier to cut the tails and use them as a template to mark the pins than the reverse. At the end I don't think this makes much difference if you are used to the way you choose.

Dovetail Design & Marking

When thinking about my dovetails, the first thing I am looking at is the space I will need at each end for example to hide a panel groove. 

Tails marked on one board.
If I take my box as example, the bottom will be made with a 3/4" thick board that will be joined to the box with a 1/4 tongue and groove so I needed 3/4" at the bottom to hide the groove.
I then set the size of my tails to fit the number I want and I start to mark them from each side. The central pin will take the remaining space. I like when the central pin is larger than the others, it "breaks" the visual while keeping the symmetry.

To mark the tails I use a simple pencil with a well sharped tip. After having made some mistake I am now very careful to properly mark the waste part too.





Cutting Tails

To saw the tails I am using a small razor gent saw, these are small tails that do not require a big saw cut. I try to saw as near to the pencil line as possible so to make the final cleanup as easy as possible.

First cuts

I then cut the waste with the coping saw and clean what is remaining with a chisel.

All tails done.

Marking and Cutting Pins

When the tails are cut and cleaned I use them as a template to mark the pins to allow any small deviations in size to be reported to the pins. This is without any doubt the step I care about the most.

Pins are marked using the tails as a template.

When I saw the pins I prefer to stay a bit more shy from the line as I prefer to remove a bit more waste than to realize there is a gap.

After sawing the pins, I make a notch at the base of the waste with a chisel. This allow me to get a clean cut when chopping out the waste.

Notching the waste base to to get a clean cut.

The waste is remove with few mallet strikes on a mortise chisel.

Waste knocked of, remains to clean the pins.

As shown on the picture above there is still some waste to clean but nothing difficult to do. The remaining is simply dry fitting tails and pins and slightly adjust where needed.

Dry fit.

Fitting the Bottom

As mentioned before the box bottom is joined to the box with tongue & groove and I want the groove to be invisible. For this I am cutting the groove on the box sides (where tails are) using a plane.

However for the front and back I am using a chisel so not to go all the way through the pin and keep the groove hidden upon assembly. Same principal apply for the cover rabbet.

Grooves are cut all the way using a plane
on the box sides.
Note the stopped groove on front
and back.













Making boxes is a good training for dovetails and everybody need a couple of nice boxes so there is no wasted effort.

3 comments:

  1. Tail first also, as I learned from making a drawer with Klaus.
    Best advice I can give you is to ALWAYS mark your waste area. It is all too easy to cut on the wrong side of the line if you forget DAMHIKT :-)
    I have also been known to make three parts make a U and the last part going off in the wrong direction. As a results I have the few odd drawers a tad smaller :-)
    Pay attention to your markings....

    Bob, who easily get ...squirrels !! distracted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Bod on marking the waste, I am so silly that I even make mistake when it is marked!

      Delete