Friday, March 1, 2019

Vintage tools: Stanley 246 miter box - part 2

In the last post I started to cleanup the miter box base.
The base is now done or at least clean enough for me as I do not want to loose the patina this old lady got while aging.
It is now the turn of the uprights. They both look pretty good but show some rust and dirt.

The back upright in its original state.

First step was to disassemble the upright in pieces so I can clean it thoroughly. This is easier than I expected. 

The upright disassembled (some parts
are not shown as they were already
in the rust remove bath)


At first I was a bit cautious as I expected to see some little piece or spring or I do not know what that I would not have been to put back in pace but nothing like that.
In fact you just have to remove 2 screws at the top and everything comes apart.
I then applied the same principle as for the base, scrub every piece with steel wool and WD40, wipe everything clean and apply a thin coat of light oil.






Inside the saw guide, a lot of gunk.






I took particular care of the saw guide interior side and the little bearing so to ensure a soft saw movement. There was quite a lot of dust and gunk inside but nothing that a good scrubbing cannot clear out.



For the little pieces that were hard to scrub I used a rust remover, I plunge the pieces in it during 30 minutes, lightly rub them and rinse them with water. The final result after a coat of light oil is very nice, at least cleaner than what it was.

One upright cleaned and reassembled.
The next picture shows both uprights cleaned and back in place on the miter base.

Uprights cleaned and back in place.
 Next steps will be to clean the tie bar, stock guides and length stops then will come the time to restore the saw.






No comments:

Post a Comment