Monday, March 18, 2019

Workbench drawers - Dry fitting back assembly

After having cut the drawer back and roughly cleaned the waste I started to adjust the cuts on the back as well as the sides.

Not yet good enough.

I have been pretty cautious not to go too fast as I am used to act like a bull and regret it afterward. I did many chop and dry fit so to ensure that I was not going to far.

Still not good enough...

Then I remembered that I have an old depth gauge as well as a small combination square that were a great help to cut more precisely to the required size (one more thing to remember next time).

Using my old depth gauge to check
the cut size.

At the end I find the result not too bad, not perfect yet for sure but not too bad. Usually this is when I feel the disappointment to see how bad the joint is looking but this time I am pretty satisfied. It has been a pleasant experience.

Left join.

Right join

Back and side assembly dry fit.

Now remain to cut the drawer sides for the drawer face assembly. The join will be the same cut but 1/4" deeper so the tenons will protrude on the drawer face. 1/4" will be too much but I will plane the tenons to the correct size afterward.

Front cuts will be 1/4 deeper.

Talking about protruding tenon, and based on the comment from I am a Ok Guy yesterday, here is a picture to illustrate the kind of look I want to get.

What kind of look I want to get.
(picture from www.voorheescraftsman.com)

2 comments:

  1. The joints are looking good and should look better after gluing up and planing. I was wondering where the protruding tenons were, but then realized this is the back of the drawer. Looking forward to seeing the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, indeed it is only the back at this point, but check my latest post there is something for you :)

      Delete