Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Workbench drawers - Drawer front

After having cut the box joins for the drawer back assembly, time to tackle the drawer front.

Drawer back and side completed waiting for the front.

Like for the back I started to mark and cut the drawer side and then used them to mark the front board.

The front board marked using the cut sides

I then made a kerf on both faces so to guide the saw while cutting.

Kerfs made, ready to cut with the saw.

Here I thought of a way to go faster when cutting the waste. Instead of only using the mortise chisel to chop it I did 2 cut at 90 degrees so only a small piece remains. This accelerated a lot the waste removal. Obvious but I did not think about it before, call it the experience.

Cutting the waste away while making one side.
I then cleaned the cut right on the line using my firmer chisel and with the help of my small combination square to check that the cut is straight and of the right size. I then did a dry fit to check.

Not bad for  first dry fit try.
Now to satisfy Matt (from Woodworking in a Tiny Shop) eagerness to see them, here is a first picture of what the protruding tenons will look like.

Protruding tenons first insight.

I will need to round them and plane them but I already like the way it looks.
Here is another picture of what it will look like when the drawer will be in place.

The raw drawer in place.
Next I will fit the other side and start to look at the drawer bottom.






4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have ever seen any Greene and Greene drawers like this in person but they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, unfortunately I never had the chance to see this type of drawers in person. I only saw a lot of pictures from books and magazine and I really like the design, this is a good source of inspiration for me.

      Your devoted Wood Butcher.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, there they are. I think the drawers are really going to look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt, hopefully they will look better and better.
      Stay tuned for more update soon!

      Your devoted Wood Butcher.

      Delete