Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Woodworking legacy

In my profile, for those who took a look at it, I am talking about my great grand father who was a carpenter in the early 20th century. No doubt that he was  the trigger of my interest in woodworking in my early childhood.

I had the chance to inherit of some of his tools that I keep like a treasure, not because of the real value of these tools but more as a legacy that I care about.

Below is the bow saw he made by himself that I keep hanged on a wall in my house.

My great grand father bow saw.

The saw has been so much used that you can see the wood bending on the tenon assembly.

The frame deformed by the tension over the years.

I also got one of his wooden plane, a planer/jointer considering its length.

My great grand father jointer plane.
His name initials are stamped on the side of the plane. I need to restore it one day so to put it back to use. I checked and the sole is flat and in very good shape.

My great grand father initials stamped on the side of his plane.

I also have some tools like old screwdrivers, a draw knife, a saw file and a little hammer I love to use to set my planes blade etc...

... and some more (the pliers are also home made).
Some more tools

One of the tool I really like is his little level made of boxwood by J Rabone & Sons, it is in pristine condition.

A J. Rabone & Sons level "Warranted Correct"

The last two things I got from him are a compass saw and his hand brace (not sure about the brace maker).

A compass saw...
... and his hand brace.
I try to keep some of these tools in good usable condition as I want to keep them "alive".

3 comments:

  1. Good collection of tools you got there. Your great grand father knew a quality tool!
    I would go to Busy Bee and buy a jug of Evaporust, check out the wood refinishing products from Howard at Home Hardware (Or look at my blog to see what i use) pick up some wd40, fine steel wood and sand paper and gives them the love they deserve.
    Good luck and enjoy that connection with your great grand dad.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob, for the finish of the wood parts I like to use a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine and add 3 to 5 coats of shellac like for my saw handles. With time and usage the shellac takes a nice patina.

      Delete
  2. Most of these Tools are British, but there are a few Continental in there. The small hammer, the drawknife looks French to me. The flats on the brace chuck looks British to me. Look for marking on the chuck and on the bow.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete