Thursday, March 21, 2019

Workbench drawers - About drawers bottom

Now that the first drawer box is progressing well I started to think about the drawer bottom.
At first sight I was planning to use plywood or MDF to do the bottom as this is not a well visible part. Then I heard a little voice in my head (yes sometimes I can hear some voice in my head, I know this is not a good sign of sanity) saying "Hey man, are you a wood butcher or not?". The answer is obvious, of course I am a wood butcher and so I will not take the shortest path.
So now I am thinking to build the drawer bottom with solid wood.
I have some 2"x6" white pine boards (that are actually 1"1/2x5"1/2) that I will cut to size and re-saw so to get 1"x6" boards. After re-sawing and planning I should be able to end with 1/2"x5" boards (actual size).
I plan to make a french drawer bottom with an added middle rail where the bottom board would be ship lap assembled.
From the front it would look like this:

Front view of the drawer bottom

And from the side, like this:

Side view of the drawer bottom

Instead of using ship lap joinery for the bottom board I could also use tongue and grove assembly but I am not sure this is really useful in this case. As each board would be 14" long and 1/2" thick I don't see much wood movement that would require a tongue and grove join.
Any comment will be welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the first photo above I thought the grain of the bottom would be running from front to back. And I thought about problems it could cause with sticking drawers. But I see in the second picture that the grain of the bottom pieces will go side to side, so all is well. Had you thought about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed wood grain will be form side to side so reduce wood movement to the minimum. I did some homework searching info online and in books and looks that grain side to side is the right way to do it.

      Delete