Friday, October 18, 2019

Changed my mind... Again!

Yesterday while continuing with my hand brace wall support and looking at the plan I came up with I changed my mind regarding the design of the side and top shelf. The updated plan is shown below.

On the left, the new design of the side and top shelf.

The side will go over the shelf and will be convexly rounded a the top and concavely at the bottom. This looks more pleasant to my eyes that way. As a consequence I will play with dovetails later as the assembly now will be made all the way with dowels.

I cut the needed piece using my venerable the miter box. Here the length of the shelf is of importance but the length of the vertical sides is not, provided that they are of same length. So I cut the shelf to the exact length and cut the remaining of the board in two pieces.

All 3 pieces cut on the venerable miter box.

Next is to mark the rounded ends. For this I used a divider with sharp tips to make a faint mark on the wood that I then highlighted with a pencil.

On the left, one side marked.

Here I am only marking one side that I will cut and then use as a template for the other side.
I removed most of the waste using a coping saw and used my set of spokeshaves to plane to the marked line. I got this spokeshaves set (flat sole and rounded sole) for a good price and this is the first time I use them. After 10 minutes of sharpening they were very nice to use.

Using the flat sole spokeshave for the convexly
rounded end...

...and the rounded sole spokeshave for the
concavely rounded end.

When the first side was done I used it as a template to mark the other side.

Using the first side as a template for the second.

When the second side was done I clamped both of them side by side and used the spokeshaves to ensure the rounded ends were exactly the same.

Planning both boards clamped side by side to
make the rounded ends identical.

When finished this is how it will looks like.

Dry fit, looks good to me.

Stay tuned for the final assembly!



2 comments:

  1. The second design gives a stop at both ends and better secure storage. Besides it has got to be more fun to use the spokeshave to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on spot Ralph! When I thought about the top shelf I saw that first thing I will put there will fall so the stop at both end. I like very much the spokeshave but need much more training before being able to master it.

      Delete