Monday, October 21, 2019

Almost done.

In my previous post I mentioned that I changed my mind about the design for the sides of the wall support and that these will be pegged on to the back board. So I carefully marked the holes location on each side and started to drill, but this time I did it by hand without a jig. I must admit that it was easier and quicker to do without the need to set the jig for each hole.

Peg holes drilled on each side.

I prepared a bunch of 5/16" dowels, cut to length and beveled using my pencil sharpener again.

A bunch of dowels to use for the sides assembly.

Then it was mostly a matter of drilling holes in the back board using the matching side hole as a guide, and gluing everything together.

First side assembly, please forgive the miserably cheap clamps,
 but for now this is all I got.

Waiting for the glue to set, I had time to practice my saw sharpening skills. This time I choose to sharpen a Taylor Brothers tenon saw.

The second saw I sharpened in my life of wood butchering.

This saw is a pretty heavy one with its brass back but the handle is well shaped to my hand. I cleaned the blade a bit using polishing paste and I did sharpen it. It took me something like 30 minutes to do. I will need to add more set to the teeth as the blade has a tendency to be stuck in the wood while cutting.

Taylor Brother etch is one of the nicest I ever saw.

For sharpening I am using a guide for fleam and rake made by Veritas. I must admit that it is a bit of a disappointment. Even when tightly set it has the bad tendency to loosen and to lost its setting what is not very enjoyable when you are in the middle of a file stroke.

Back to the brace support, after the glue has dried and the clamps were removed I took a look of the result.

First side assembly done awaiting cleanup.

It was time for the second side assembly so I followed the same steps.

Second side assembly

When the glue had set it was time for a bit of cleanup. I chopped the dowels flat using a chisel then planed a bit the sides. I then chamfered all angles with my little big plane, a Craftsman 3905 hobby plane.

Chisel and tiny plane at work to chamfer all angles.

I really love this plane and it is one that I used very often, either for bevel/chamfer or on end grain it is a pleasure to use.

After some light sanding the support is ready to receive its finish.

Ready for finishing.

Note to self: remember to remove pencil marks BEFORE final assembly as it is a PIA to remove them afterward.

I am first applying a mix of turpentine/linseed oil as a base coat, I like the way it enhance the "golden" aspect of the pine. When it will have dried out I will apply 3 coats of blonde shellac and will call it done.

A coat of turpentine/linseed oil mix improve the
golden aspect of the pine.

1 comment:

  1. I like the design. Why didn't you knock the corners off on the bottom? Round them over to match the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete