Tuesday, November 26, 2019

A Gift to Myself

Last weekend was my birthday, and as in terms of tools I think that self served is well served, I bought myself a gift that I received yesterday.

My gift to myself.

Ok the pleasure is limited, there is no surprise here so lets move on.

Package content

This is a ECE frame saw with two replacement blades. I bought the two extra blades as I want to make a Roubo frame saw one of these days, when time will permit so they will be readily available.
It took me 5 minutes to assemble the ECE saw.

The assembled saw.

The saw looks of good quality and well built. Uprights and handles looks like to be made with beech wood while the middle beam is made of a more lightweight wood, not sure what type.
At first sight I thought the top tensioner was something cheap (a simple threaded rod) but after assembly this is working fine and doing the job.
The blade does not look to have been so much sharpened, teeth look more like being stamped steel. You can feel it when letting your finger go along the side of the blade teeth. The teeth feel smooth on one side and rougher on the other one.
I guess that this blade would benefit of some sharpening but as I did not try it yet I cannot say.
Not sure when I will use it but for sure I will need some practice to be able to handle it properly.

After having contemplated my new toy for so long, I switched back to my TV stand top. I cut the last board and glued it to the two first.

All boards clamped.

Next step will be to plane this clean and flat and to cut it to shape.

9 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday, young man ?? :-)
    If you want to touch up the blades, as described, give it a side sweep by a file or hard stone (no watersones) to clean up the burrs and make it track true, if you do both sides equally. But before doing anything, wait till you cut some wood, that may be enough to clean up some burrs.

    Good idea to get extra for a future built, been meaning to do that for a while, but then ran into an antique one :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, a young man in the head, but a bit less younger since last weekend :)
      Not sure when I will build the Roubo saw but at least I will have the main part for it. These blade were quite cheap so it was the occasion. I got an antique one from my great grand father, but that one is hanged on the wall in my living room :D

      Delete
  2. HB Lionel. I buy my xmas presents for myself as my birthday (and Bob's) is on the 19th of Dec.
    which saw blades did you get with them and where did you buy it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ralph! Saw blades are ECE like the saws and I got blades and saw from highland woodworking, just a hair above 10$ so quite cheap. They have rip/xcut and what they call "turbo" that are in fact japanese blades.

      Delete
    2. Also, I check in Canada but looks like ECE brand is not sold anymore up here so no other option than buying from US or Europe, it is a pity as shipping fees plus taxes/brokerage add quite a lot to the cost.

      Delete
  3. correction, im on the 20th of Dec, im younger :-)

    Bob, the younger one

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to ECE catalog, the saw bridge is hornbeam.
    In this video, Paul Sellers shows how a brand new saw is performing and then the improvement after a 5' sharpening.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jAlXmfquo
    Your ECE "ready to saw" blade might well benefit from some sharpening.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info Sylvain, I will definitively watch that video.

      Delete