Friday, November 1, 2019

Drill setup and more

After receiving its final coats of blonde shellac my hand drill support was ready to be installed, what I did yesterday.

The final result...
...looks good to me.





















Now that this is done I will look into my next project, but for now it is time to try myself at burnishing the Stanley #12 blade. This is the first time I do that so I was not quite sure about my chance of success. I read everything I could about this, from books or articles written by big shots like Paul Sellers or Christopher Schwarz so time now to jump on it.
I first polished the blade back, then gentle burnish the back side and finally I burnished the edge. I was not really sure about the pressure to apply but read from M. Schwarz that it is like spreading butter on a toast so I went for it.
I put the blade back in the plane, set the blade angle properly and gave it a try on a scrap piece of maple wood. Here what I got:

A nice thin long shaving, this is a special for you Matt!

And to satisfy Matt's (Woodworking in a Tiny Shop) passion for shavings here are some closeup.

Shaving closeup.

... and closer again.
I will need some practice with this plane as I am not used to handling it. The position with one handle on each side of the plane is new to me. Also I need to practice on the plane setup. It is hard to find out if it is properly setup when you do not have any point of comparison (what is a good or a bad setup).
On maple the surface was left really nice, super smooth and silky. However I tried it on pine and the result was really not the same in this softer wood so there is something to improve.


6 comments:

  1. Both those tool racks turned out nice. At first I didn't think much of the floating shelves on the drill rack but they look good with the rack loaded.
    Very nice job tuning up that No. 12, it cuts a fine shaving! I've never found a scraper that works well with pine, it's just to soft a wood.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen! Thank you for your comment. I was wondering if it was a bad setup or sharpening that made it difficult with pine.

      Delete
  2. Holy mackerel, look at that shaving. That looks far better than any shaving I've ever gotten from a scraper. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you Matt! I think you are too generous, I am pretty sure I got lucky :) I will test different angles for burnishing over time to see if there is any difference, at this point I am not even sure at what angle I did it, let's call it the luck of the junior!
      I have also a #112 to clean and put back to work too, I think I will prefer the hands position of the 112 vs the 12.

      Delete
  3. Looking good. It may seems like a lot of real estate for only a few tools, but: You can easily double the amount of braces on the pegs. You should not need anymore handrills, these three covers it all, except.. You could use two more tools, a push drill (my favs is the MF No 100 Buck Rogers, followed by Stanley No 41) and a small Jeweller drill. Next you will need to organize your various bits for them all. Your shop is coming along nicely.

    Enjoy the ride
    Bob, who is not quite done with his ongoing shop re-org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob like you wrote I should not need any more handrills. I already got 2 push drill and like you I love my MF #100 Buck Rogers. The second one I own is also a Miller Falls, I am a MF lover! I was planning to store them below the hand drills but changed my mind. I may try to fit a support on some kind on each side of the drill support. On the second picture, the green box above the braces is a set of Greenlee bits, and I have a whole bunch of center bit to sharpen in the open box below the hand drills. I will look at making also some kind of storage for them. I also need to make some storage for my chisels and my screw drivers. So much fun ahead!

      Delete