Friday, November 15, 2019

From outer space...

In my previous post I asked what plane was making the thick shavings shown on picture. Most would have answered a Jack plane but it was more than that. It is a jack plane from outer space!

A jack plane from a sci-fi comics, the Millers Falls #714.

I am the lucky owner of that Millers Falls #714 type 1 from the so called "Buck Rogers" era.
Some says that this plane is a collector for its exceptional design but an awful plane to use. While I must admit that its design makes it a piece of exception in the plane world, I disagree about its quality as a plane. This plane is a beast of jack plane!

What a shape!


First it is heavy and I like that. Second its massive tote makes it really enjoyable to handle for someone with big fat hands like me. Last, using a plane looking like this one is like driving a convertible Chevy Corvette  from the 50's on a sunny Sunday.
This plane cuts thick large shavings and eats wood like nothing else and I really love to use it.

But this is only the beginning of the story, there is more about it.
This massive big boy has a little bro, and I am lucky enough to own a #709 type 1 too.

The little brother, the Millers Falls #709


Again, comments about that plane are the same, a collector but not a user and as a smoother it is terrible as the mouth cannot be closed... well only blabla.
Like any other plane the mouth opening can be set the way you want, just that it is not really convenient as the third screw is under the tote that needs to be removed.

The tote removed reveal the third screw for mouth setting.

So to  set mouth opening you need to remove blade assembly and the tote to reveal the screws. I must admit it is not very convenient. But how often do you change your frog settings? I do not know for you but for me it is near to never.

When properly sharpened and set, that plane is as capable as any other smoother.

Some quite thin shaving.
I tried it onto some scrap wood and it gaves me a silky smooth surface, same as my other smoothers if not better,  but in a stylish way!




6 comments:

  1. As long as you like them and they perform for you, that's all that matters. Are the totes comfortable in use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Matt, I guess it is a matter of personal preference. For me the tote are very comfortable, big in hand and very stiff and even if plastic, or tenite I should say, they are soft to the hand.

      Delete
  2. Lionel what is that pin under the front tote for? Does it allow the knob to rotate fore and aft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph that pin is just the knob fixation, it has a hole in the middle where the knob screws in. It does not allow the knob to be move fore/aft as the knob is also going through a hole in the plane body before screwing in that pin.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, love my Buck Rogers 714. Don't have a 709...yet :-)
    Its not only from outer space it is also pretty well bomb proof design. The way the front knob is secured (necessary since the nose casting is hollow). The way the adjuster for the blade advance is made, the way the tote and knob are made (unbreakable) the mass etc etc. And of course a solid tool steel cutter.
    Collectible? Hell Yes, but DO enjoy using it. It is foremost a tool. What other Buck Rogers tools do you have??

    BTW when you look at it without the rear tote does it remind you of a more modern plane, like says the second batch of Lee Valley planes? First run were Paragon, a high end Stanley copy.
    Next came the ones with the one piece frog/tote support, just like BR but you don't have to remove the tote to adjust the third screw
    Yap, these were the inspiration for LV planes, complete with that blocky shape tote that many decried :-)

    Bob, who apparently forgot to shut off the rear outside water valve, oups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, looks like you like these ones as much as I am :D

      Delete