Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Some progress and fun

First of all, to answer a question from Ralph ("The Accidental Woodworker") about the way the knob is attached on a Millers Falls #709 or #714, here is a picture, as a picture worth a thousand words:

Knob and pin on the Millers Falls #709.

The pin slides in the plane body and the knob screw in the pin to lock it.

As a side track, I needed a flat screen wall mount so instead of buying some cheap metal plate made in China, I decided to make one with few wood scraps. It is very easy and 3 wood pieces are enough.
First I needed a plate that goes on the screen back with VESA mount:

A scrap piece with hole drilled to the VESA
specification for my screen.

To mount the TV on the wall I made a French cleat with two pieces of 2"x3" pine that I planed at 45 degrees.

Two side of a French cleat.

One part will be fixed on the wall the other will be fixed on the screen back plate, done.
This took me less than 30 minutes to do, the longest was to plane the cleat parts what could have been made with a saw to go faster.

This done I was able to continue working on my drawer and I made the two side rails where the bottom will slide in. I am using two small boards that I planed to 1"1/4 x 3/4". I used my Record 050 to plane a bead at the top.

Beaded drawer side rails.

I really like that Record plane, it is lighter than a Stanley 45 and is making nice shavings.

Nice looking shavings.

Last step is to make a small tenon at each end of the rails so they fit in the front and end grove. I marked the pieces and cut the waste using a Japanese flush-cut saw.

Using the Japanese flush-cut saw for tiny tenons.

This saw is cutting like a razor and make very clean cut for tiny tenons with it very thin blade.
I ended with two rails that I will first glue on each side of the drawer then plane a grove for the bottom boards.

Tiny tenons at the rails end.

I will first glue the rails as this will make easier to hold them while planing the groves.
Now I need to plane all bottom boards to thickness, some sport and sweat coming up.


2 comments:

  1. I bet it would be very difficult to pop that knob out while planing. I think that is the Achilles heel on Stanley planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only thing a bit annoying is a tendency for the knob to sometime unscrew a bit under pressure depending how you plane. I will use some threadlocker on the screw thread to avoid this.

      Delete