Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Santa passed by

Today I met with Santa. As I have been a very good boy this year he brought me a lot of little candies. Let start with the list.

First a Marples & Sons spokeshave and a dovetail saw. I am wondering if the spokeshave was ever used looking at it. The saw needs a sharpening touch up but does look good too.

Marples & Sons spokeshave and dovetail saw.

Second, a Millers Falls #10 plane. This is the equivalent of a Stanley 41/2. I wanted one so much but was not able to find one at a decent price. These are pretty rare on the market and usually the price is quite high, add to that the shipping fees and it will cost you a leg. This one looks to be a type 2 (more to come about it).

Millers Falls #10

As I plan to make some tools that will require some wood screw, I got a tap and die set to make wood screw. This one is for a 3/4 screw. These were also sold in set from 1/2 to 1"1/2 but I wanted to check the quality first. I did not try it yet but it looks to be well built.

Tap and die set for 3/4" wood screw.

Next, a small bow saw by Marples & Sons in very good shape, no crack and the blade is still sharp.

Marples & Sons bow saw.

Now a true jewel. This is a full set of Russel Jennings bits in perfect condition, even the box is not damaged and still have all the hardware. Again these are usually in a very high price range and the shipping cost is prohibitive but I found this one not far from me and at a very good price. It was a kind of guess as I was wondering if at that price the bits would have been damaged but the surprise was great when I saw there are all in perfect shape.



Next, a very nice little level by Marples & Sons (Do I seem to like that manufacturer very much?). Very nice and more pleasure to use this than my usual plastic level.



And finally the cherry, something that I wanted for the pleasure to handle one as I never got that luck before and I find it very funny, a Millers Falls 502B corner brace. Not sure I will use it a lot but I think this is a very funny tool.

Millers Falls 502B corner brace

Now that Santa brought me so many things I must go back to work and finish my TV stand project as I am already late!

Merry Christmas to you all!

9 comments:

  1. Ho ho not finished yet? My late wife and I did exchange unfinished projects once or twice at Christmas :-)

    Good haul, you got there. From Ontario??

    Bob, wishing you and yours a merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed right Bob, it is not finished yet. The finish is the culprit, I need to wait a day between coats even if heating my shop so that takes a while. But I got lucky if I can say, our celebration dinner is moved to Saturday as some of us got a cold so this gives me some room to try to have it on time :)

      The Russel Jennings are coming from Ontario, the remaining from UK and US but at good price and good shipping cost. I cannot understand why it costs 15$ to ship something from UK by priority air mail and 50+$ from within north america by ground!

      Delete
    2. And Merry Christmas to you and yours too, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. How do you rate an early visit from Santa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you must have been an especially good boy this year! That saw looks so short, like the blade is only about 6" long. Looks like a great lot of tools. Have fun using them! MC and HNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I am always a good boy, or pretend to be one! The bow saw cutting edge is 11 inches long. I will need some practice before being able to master this.

      Delete
  4. Yep, nice haul, especially the spokeshave and bow saw

    ken

    ReplyDelete