Monday, December 16, 2019

Some steps, some progress.

Continuing where I left on my TV stand project I needed to make some more tongue and grooves in order to join the shelves and the face frame. I dismantled the frame and used a 1/4" chisel to make the grooves.

Grooves at the rear of the face frame.

Here the grooves are stopped where there is some tenon joinery. I made tongues on the side panel in the same way.

Side panel assembly.

I then did the same to the middle shelf and I was able to do a quick dry fit of the whole assembly.

A quick dry fit, view from the top...
...and from the bottom.

Next was to bore all the holes that will be used to reinforce the side and back with pegs. I first marked the hole centers.

Holes marked in the middle of a dado.

I then used an hand drill to make small pilot holes.

Making pilot holes.

I then used a hand brace to bore the peg holes.

Boring the peg holes.

I repeat this on all parts and called it done.
After having done most of the parts, I was able to clean some pieces and start the assembly. I began with the central muntins and rail.

Central muntins and rail glue up.

While the glue was drying, I took care of finishing the shelves interior. I used a shellac mix as a wash coat to try to avoid blushing. The mix is made of 1 part of amber shellac, 3 part of white shellac, the whole diluted 50/50 with alcohol.

My shellac mix used as a wash coat.

I mixed a part of amber shellac as after some trials I found out that it highlights a bit more the golden aspect of pine. Too much of amber shellac and the wood turns orange though. After light sanding I applied two coats of that mix. For each coat I brushed the shellac on then wiped it off so there is no build up.

Wash coat applied.

After leaving it to dry for the afternoon, I again sanded lightly with 220 grit and I applied the stain. The stain I used is made of natural components like nuts and is oil based.

The stain I used.

I initially used this for some floor made of larch wood and really like it. It does not smell anything else but nuts oil what I like very much. I applied the stain using a brush and left it dry 15 minutes.

Stain applied with a brush.

I then wiped it with a clean cloth.

Stain wiped off.

I like the result, not much blushing (but still a bit though maybe a third wash coat would help) and the final stain is exactly what I needed.
I left this to dry overnight. The day after I applied the first coat of finish. I was initially planning to use shellac for the finish but changed my mind (again) and will be using wiping varnish and wax.
I made my own wiping varnish by mixing oil based varnish, BLO and turpentine in equal part. I used a clean rag cloth rolled as a ball to apply it.

First coat of wiping varnish left to dry.

I will leave this to dry overnight before applying a second coat. For the shelves interior two coats will be enough as this will not be exposed much to sight.

While the wiping varnish was drying I tackled one of the last part I needed to make, the lower shelf.
The shelf will have a form similar to the top form. I marked the board and did a rough cut with the saw.

Lower shelf rough cut.

I then planed the cut clean and used a chisel to carve the curves.

Carving the curves.

When the whole profile was done I lightly sanded the round part. I then needed to plane a tongue where the shelf will be assembled on the face frame.

The tongue used to join the shelf with the face frame.
The final result.

Few things are left to be done and it will be mostly a matter of some adjustments, applying finish and glue everything in place.


6 comments:

  1. That's a lot of progress. You know it's a good project when you have three squares on the bench at the same time (picture 4)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I am a lazy guy so I don't like to change square settings all the time and use many of them :)

      Delete
  2. Lionel I had to read the post 3 times to digest it all. The joinery for a tv stand is over the top. I can't wait to see it put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph, I have the bad habit to over engineer a bit everything lol

      Delete
  3. In impressed, making great progress.
    Im, with you on that. Over engineer and over built everything is my motto :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bod, too much honor! From now on it will be more about finishing and assembling everything. 1 week left, hopefully this will be ready on time :)

      Delete