Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Addition to my shop

After having finished my last project I decided to build some additional shelves for my shop. I was fed up to see all my planes taking my workbench space so it was time to sort that out. 
I built this on the same design as my other shelves for my braces and hand drills. Unfortunately I did not think about taking much pictures about the construction.


Gluing up the last pieces

For this one I added some support that will rest on the workbench below. The shelf itself is quite heavy but with the addition of all the plane weight I thought it was preferable to have this resting of some surface instead of putting all the strength on the wall, even if screwed in the inner studs.

At the end this is the final result.

Final setup.
Close-up
The shelves are built around my screen and this is where vintage classic tools meet with technology. I find a screen to be a very convenient tool to display a schema or plan of your project. It is easy to take a take a picture of your plan  with your phone if you draw it on paper, share your phone screen to the TV screen and you have a big size display board.

Now onto my net project. I need to build a bathroom vanity for my master bedroom. For this I came up with something that will schematically look like that:

First draft
The top will receive the vessel sink and faucet. Pretty simple and straightforward looking but this is the kind of design I like the most.
The sink is ordered and I will wait to receive it before starting any more detailed plan so to check for correct sizing. 



4 comments:

  1. I love it. The shop is looking sharp there Lionel.

    Good idea about the TV screen in the shop. For years I used a blackboard and now a white board. when I replace the TV upstairs, ill bring the 32 in downstairs in my shop...or her gymn. Hum, may have to buy another :-)
    There is a 50 plasma in my man cave but its a tad too big for the shop. What size is that one, 32 in ??

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob! That TV screen is 40 inches, this is far enough for the need and does not take too much space on the wall.

      Lionel, watching the snow pilling up out there.

      Delete
  2. Lionel,

    Your shop is too neat, journey down south and I'll show you what a shop should look like. BTW, Love the new shelf's

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat? Nah! It is just that I always take pictures from the same angle to hide the mess on the other corner :)

      Delete