Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Making laminated raised panels

After making the doors for my bathroom vanity I need to make side panels of the same type that is to say that these panels will have a pine frame enclosing a birch raised panel.
Considering the size of these side panels I needed to make the birch panels by jointing two 6" wide boards. I cut the boards to length, adding 1" for the tongues, and planed the edges with a jointer plane.
After a quick dry fit I started gluing the panels.

Jointing boards.

At the end I got two 11"x165/8".

Jointed panel.

In order to make the raised center I needed first to cut the tongue all around the panel and then to plane the raised bevel. I started by marking the boards.

Board front face marked...
...and same for the back face.





















On the front face, the first mark is the tongue, the second is the end of the raising bevel. On the back only the tongue is marked.

Using my favorite rabbet plane, my Record 778, I started planing the tongue cross grain.

Starting the tongue cross grain on the back.

Then went with the grain to get it done all around. The tongue is 1/4" deep and 1/2" wide.

One face done.

When the back face is done I did the same to the front face.

Both faces done.

The remaining step was to plane the 1" wide bevel from the tongue to the marked line.
To plane the bevel, this time I used a Millers Falls #8 to remove the bulk and finished with my shoulder plane.
I ended with my two side raised panels.

Rough planed side raised panels.

Next I will start finishing these panels and will work on the frame.










3 comments:

  1. I like how your corners came even with the rabbet plane. That is one area that I don't do well on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ralph. Surprisingly enough I found easier to do this in harder wood like than in softer wood like pine.

      Lionel who will soon need to fell a tree to get some boards.

      Delete
  2. Lionel,

    Really nice looking rabbets, It's not the easiest thing to get right. Lately I've been getting close with the 778 or the LV version then doing the final trim with a straight rabbet plane.

    When I say lately I mean the last ones I did, it has been a few months since I've built anything. Sure have some sharp iron in the shop though.

    ken

    ReplyDelete