Monday, April 27, 2020

Big slab planing and a drama (sort of).

Long time since my last post. We just came out from 3 weeks of vacation (at home of course) that we spent doing some long due home renovations.
Still I took the opportunity of the nice weather coming back to start planing some big slabs of white pine to prepare them for the bench I want to build. It is a joy to plane outside under a shining sun!

Start planing the slabs.

This was also the opportunity to play with the latest tool I got, a Millers Falls #88 jointer plane fence. I got it in perfect shape, it just needed a bit of cleaning and was ready to be back to work.
I mount it on my Stanley #7 and used it for the first time. At first it was a bit strange to use but when I got used to it I found it nice. With this, it is easy to follow a long straight edge.


Trying my Millers Falls #88 jointer fence.

After a while, and a bunch of shavings, it was time to clean up the deck a bit.

Time for a good sweep to collect the shavings.

And then came the drama... My Stanley #7 was resting peacefully on the slab when I heard a big "bang"... the plane felt down on the deck. The result was immediate:

Resulting effect of a fall.

I was lucky enough that my deck was made in wood so the shock was not too hard on the plane sole and the only damage was a broken tote and a slightly bent threaded rod.
It was easy to get the rod back straight. For the tote I used epoxy to glue it back in one piece.

Tote glued back in one piece.

After slight sanding and a coat of finish, it will be almost as new.

Anyway, lesson learned: When the job is done, put the plane back to its shelf!


6 comments:

  1. Planes don't bounce any better the further south you get neither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lionel,

    That hurts but lucking for the wood deck.

    What's that white stuff in the background?

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, I will try to explain as this is something you don't know down there in the desert. The white stuff is some sort of ice, but softer and falling from the sky, it is called snow lol
      This is where we keep the wine bottle fresh :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed very lucky, would have it be tiles I would either have broken he plane or the tiles. This is a reason why I have put foam tiles all around my workbench in my shop.

      Delete
  4. AH yes, the white fluffy snow, the stuff dreams are made of... Im dreaming of a white Christmas... :-)

    Tote, plane and saws often got damaged thru their lifes, go figures... :-)

    Bob, who had a few oupsy moments thru the years

    ReplyDelete