Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Vanity taking shape

Now that the raised panels for the vanity side are done I did start making the frame that will receive them. I first cut the four legs to length and planed them square to 11/2 x 11/2.

Two of the 4 legs.

The side panels are set in a groove made in each leg. To make this groove I used my small Record #43 plough plane.

Making the grooves.

However, as it can be seen in the picture above, the groove is stopped at a point in the leg. To be able to use the plane I had to make the groove end using a chisel first so the plane can work for the remaining waste.

The end of the groove is first made with a chisel.

After having made the matching tenons and grooves in the top and bottom rails I was able to do a dry fit of each side of the vanity.

The two sides of the vanity.

I then tackled the rails for the front frame and matching mortises in the legs and was able to dry fit the base vanity assembly.


Base assembly dry fit.

I did the same for the bottom rails and did another dry fit with the doors inserted.

Another dry fit with doors inserted.
The next thing to take care of are the two shelves. These two will be made with separate boards assembled with tenons in rails mortises.

The two shelves will be made with separate boards.

The middle (darker) board is birch, like the raised panels while the other ones are pine.
I am not sure yet what will be the finish for this vanity. My initial idea was to stain the pine dark and keep the birch natural. Now I start thinking that I like the contrast of clear pine and natural birch. I will think about it over night to get some inspiration :)










8 comments:

  1. I vote for a natural finish and let the pine and birch say what they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I am thinking too but I need approval from the Admiral :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of progress and looking great! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed, nice work there Lionel.
    I vote for whatever the Admiral says :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob very much appreciated!
      Yes me too, whatever the Admiral will choose I will be happy so she will be too lol

      Delete
  4. Lionel,

    Work looks really good. A smart man learns to say "yes dear" early in life. Some of us take awhile to train.

    ken

    ReplyDelete