Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Another box

Following one of my previous post the last part of my box to be done is the cover and handle. The cover is a simple pine board but I wanted the handle to stand out of the box so I used a piece of mahogany to make it.

I started with a small 11/2x5x1/2 mahogany piece that I marked to cut each end round. I then roughly saw the corners and got the final round shape with a chisel.

Rough cut with a saw...
...final shape with a chisel












I then rounded the edge, first using a plane to get a bevel all around then sanding the remaining waste.

First handle part done.

I did the same for the second part, except that I started from a 1x41/2x1/2 piece of mahogany that will only be half rounded on its edge.

Two parts done.

The handle is made by gluing the two parts stacked.

Handle final shape.

I applied 4 coats of wiping varnish, by penetrating in the wood it highlights the reddish color of the mahogany.

Handle afixed to the box.

The handle is set to the box using four small wood pegs dark stained. The little wood pegs are protruding 1/16" from the top of the handle to give a "nailed" look.

Overall I am pleased with the end result. The handle could have been a bit more evolved in its shapre or better designed but I like the way it stands out from the box.



It was initially planned to be used to contains my wife birthday gift but as usually I was late so it became another gift by itself.


A simple box



3 comments:

  1. Lionel,

    As always, beautiful work.

    "It was initially planned to be used to contains my wife birthday gift but as usually I was late so it became another gift by itself." The story of my life :-).

    ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ken.
      I always plan something and something else comes in picture tu delay the plan. Anyway, my wife and I are getting used to it now :)

      Delete
  2. My wife and I are getting used to it now...You are not alone :-)

    Nice job on the box, good looking dovetails

    Bob

    ReplyDelete