Thursday, March 14, 2019

Stopped me just in time...

Following my last post about the mirror cabinet I am building I've got what I call the stop factor ringing in my head.



I have been thinking about it twice (and more). I do not like these drawer metal slides, I don't like how they look, I don't like to know they will be there, I don't like them. Even if there will not be visible except if you slide open the door, I don't like them and I know I won't like to slide open the door and see them (clear enough?).

After all we are talking about woodworking right? So better to try achieving the same result with wood. Now, this said (or written), I need to find a way, and I can see many way of doing this with wood.

  • Using a tongue and grove assembly.
A tongue & grove 
  • Using a sliding dovetail.
A sliding dovetail slide.
  • Using a T slot.
A T-slot slide.
  • Other options?
I will also need to add a stop to the slide so one sliding the door will not slide it out of the rails.

After thinking about these options for the day (I know I may be a bit slow or thinking too much), option 3 is not one I would like to follow if I had to do this by hand, looks to difficult to me.
I like the dovetail option so I came up with the following design:

What my sick mind came with (click it to see it in details).
I never made a sliding dovetail by hand before so I am a bit worrying about my ability to do it properly (read tight enough so it will not rake) but I think I can call it a plan, don't you? If anybody has any suggestion I will appreciate your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment