Thursday, March 14, 2019

Vintage tools: Stanley #71 & #71 1/2 router plane restoration - Final

After four coats of amber shellac the wood soles are ready for the next steps.
I scrubbed the bottom face (the one that will slide on the wood) with fine steel wool so to get a very smooth finish and I also rubbed that same face with some paste finishing wax to lower sliding resistance. I am pretty happy with the final result. 
It was then time for the soles to find their way on each plane and to put back the cutter and support.

The #71 1/2 on its sole.

The #71 on its sole.

I gave each of plane a quick try on a scrap piece of pine, I think they will be fine.

The #71 in action
The #71 1/2 in action




















Next step will be to put these two to real use!

No comments:

Post a Comment