Monday, March 4, 2019

Vintage tools: Stanley 246 miter box - part 4

After having stained the saw tote (see previous post), today was time for a finish primer. I started to mix boiled linseed oil with turpentine and mineral spirit for the first coat (1/3 part). I found a very nice way to make a mix like this or like wiping varnish. I used a kind of bottle in soft plastic used usually for kids drink. Easy to mix, easy to close, no drip, perfect for me.

Kid drink soft plastic bottle, ideal to mix oil and thinner.

After applying it on the tote I left it penetrate for 30 minutes, then wiped of the excess and left the tote dry for 2 hours. It will then received a coat of straight boiled linseed oil.

The tote after the a coat of thinned boiled linseed oil.

Waiting for it to dry I polished the saw bade with a metal polish paste. This is a product used usually to polish silverware but I found out that it is working nicely on saw blades. Apparently it also protect against oxidation, but this time will tell.   

Polished saw blade.

The saw blade is now far cleaner than when I got the saw and I am pretty much satisfied. I would have liked to get the etch more visible but at least it is still there.

When I got it the miter box came mounter on a stand that goes on the bench. I started to plane it to get it nice and clean so I can stain it the same color as the saw tote, this will be nice in the middle of my bench.

Next steps will be to apply a coat of shellac on the tote and stain the wooden stand, I am almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment