Monday, March 4, 2019

Vintage tools: Stanley #71 type 9 router plane

As everyday brings a surprise of some kind,  today I got one in the mailbox.
I received my first router plane, a Stanley #71 type 9 made between 1916 and 1924. 

Stanley #71 type 9 router plane
manufactured between 1916 and 1924.

It is however not complete. It is missing the front throat closing post and came with only 1 blade, the 1/4 wide. I will try to get a replacement for the throat closing post and will get new blades from Lee Valley. 

The plane is missing the front throat closing post.

The throat closing post is not really a big issue as I plan to add a wooden base to the plane that I want to use to attach different guides to it.
The plane needs a bit of cleanup but overall it is not in bad shape.
I will post the cleaning process when it will be time but for now I will just keep it on the shelf as I need first to finish the miter box.

No comments:

Post a Comment