Sunday, March 24, 2019

Workbench drawers - Making handles

To make the drawer handles I will use the remaining scrap of the poplar boards I used to make the drawer. Considering the drawer width I will fit two handles instead of one in the middle, this will make easier to slide the drawer.
I want to make handles in the Greene & Greene cloud lift style. To do this I will use 2 glued layers of poplar, each of a different length, this will allow me to carve a "stair" look for the handles.
First step is to cut the scrap board and to plane them to the correct size.

Planning to the correct size using my Stanley #5
I end with a bunch of 1"1/2x3/4 pieces that will be glued together.

The pieces that will be glued t make the handles
Each handle, two per drawer, will be 10"1/2 wide and 1"1/2 height. After gluing I get the base raw material to work with.

Pieces glued together and ready to be cut and carved.
The base cut is easy, two 3/4 thick pieces glued together I get a 1"1/2 thick piece with each "step" to be of 1/2". I marked each one of these.

The raw pieces marked to be cut.
I then cut them roughy to the size, staying out of the line so I an carve them. I get pieces like the following.

Raw cut of the handles
Next step is to use these raw cut to smooth them and get what I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment